Numbering my Days

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. -Psalm 90:12
At the close of another year, like most people, one thought has been nagging my mind, "Will I make New Year's resolutions?" Now, normally I am not a huge fan. Too many resolutions go wrong. I spent 3 years of my life working in a gym, watching the resolutioners flood through the doors for the first few weeks and then gradually taper off. The only thing guaranteed to succeed about resolutions, is that most of them fail. Moving into 2012, though, I feel compelled to set some goals. (Because I feel better NOT calling them "resolutions.)

My goals are driven by thoughts of the devotion I first read two years ago. "Just One Word," contains a different type of challenge sent out from FCA Endurance (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). The challenge is to simplify and originates in the powerful verse penned hundreds of years ago by the apostle Paul: "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14 The idea is to choose just one word that you will focus on for the year. It really sounds simple, until you start actually trying to settle on the ONE WORD that will drive you for the year. It requires some thought, but most importantly prayer. I thought about this on my run yesterday, "Lord, what is the one word you want me to target?" My mind landed immediately on "excellence." For a perfectionist like me, that word fits. But not quite like I thought it would. Instead, God seemed to be prompting me to think outside the box. To leave behind the idea of attaining perfection in the things I do, but to focus on the way I do it. He seemed to be nudging me to not focus so much on the product, but on the process. To DO everything with excellence for Him, not for a result. To me, it means to stop focusing on the finish line, and to start focusing on the training it takes to get there. I have to love the process, the day to day stuff. I have to be excellent in the lesson plans, not just the teaching. For me, that also means that I have to be more present... to give my full attention to whoever needs it at the moment. I'm excited about this new challenge. 

So, here are the things I will be working toward this year...
1. To be a wife that is truly a compliment to her husband.
2. To be a mom who is very present to her boys.
3. To begin writing my first novel.
4. To help my husband achieve his dream of opening his own gym.
5. To finish in the top 5 at the Miami Super Spartan.
6. To PR in the marathon and half marathon.
7. To win my age group in a 5k.

Comments

Popular Posts