Run Your Race

The Concept:
Run Your Race is a virtual marathon on November 10-11, 2012, to benefit any charity of the runner's choice. The runner chooses a course and a distance: marathon, half-marathon, or grabs some friends and does a marathon relay. Instead of paying an entry fee to run, the runner makes a donation to a charity of his/her choice, and runs in honor of that cause.

History:
The idea for organizing a virtual marathon was born in me as I was thinking about next season's race schedule. I wanted to do another marathon, but I have already done the local marathons, and I wasn't excited to do either one of them again so soon. With no local options, I began looking farther away. Calculating the cost of race entry, plus airfare, plus hotel, I was left with a pretty hefty bill, and a frowning husband. So, I began planning to focus on my training, which led to me deciding to run my own personal marathon. But then I began thinking that there are probably many people in the same position as I am.

My Suggestion:
I will be running for 4Kids of South Florida, specifically their SafePlace program. SafePlace provides a safe, comfortable, loving place to stay for abused, abandoned, and neglected children who are about to enter the foster care system. This program has recently lost state funding and is in great need of private donations. 
SafePlace info

Runners who make a $30 donation (or more) to SafePlace or 4Kids of South Florida can let me know, and I will send finisher's medal to you on completion of your race. For more information on SafePlace and 4Kids visit http://www.4kidsofsfl.org/?utm_source=MAY+14-+One+Month+to+Save+SafePlace+%2B+BONUS+Video+Tour&utm_campaign=BiG+Cardio+Recap&utm_medium=email

Registration: 
Please visit the Run Your Race facebook page, to "register" as a runner. Simply comment leaving your distance and charity. The amount you choose to donate is between you and your charity. Then invite your friends to join you! http://www.facebook.com/RunYourRaceVirtualMarathon

Safety First:
Be sure to follow a good training program so that you are prepared to conquer your distance! If choosing the relay option, divide the marathon distance equally between friends and run it together at the same time! Or if your running buddies are far away, you can still run together virtually. Remember, this is Your Race. 

Please make sure when you are planning your course to be safe. Run when it's light, or use reflective gear. Run on sidewalks or trails whenever possible, but if running on the road, run facing traffic (in the opposite lane you would drive). 

Hydration and nutrition is vital when going long. Have your family and friends meet you on the course to cheer you on and provide water stops, or drive along the route before the race and set up some drop off points. (And plan a course that will provide some bathroom stops!)

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:24-25



Comments

  1. I LOVE this! What a great idea. I am going to pray about this and see how or if God would have me do something similar. Maybe an FCA fundraiser?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts