Healing

I haven't written in forever. I think it's probably because for the last 2 years or so, I've been writing around the elephant sitting on my chest. There have been a few blogs where I've gone a little deeper and talked about the loss of my sister and how it's shifted my world in ways that are unexpected and unique. But I've mostly been not dealing with all the emotions because that's what I'm a pro at. Anyway...

I recently listened to this really great podcast from Endurance Planet. It's the first podcast I pull up on my weekly long run. Typically it's an "Ask the Coaches" format, where they answer listener questions about training and racing for road, trail, and triathlon. This podcast was different; this was the show host's return to the podcast after dealing with the death of her daughter at birth. If you've dealt with death or loss or trauma, I highly recommend you listen to this show.

I've also found lessons when dealing with my own loss. Until listening to Tawnee's reflections in that podcast, I didn't even realize that my last 2 years of seriously high (for me) mileage has been a way for me to try to find healing. Really I think subconsciously my body knew what I've needed; it's my brain that's just catching on. The following are my biggest takeaways in growing through grief:

Physical activity can be healing.
Exercise causes the body to release endorphins, which reduce the body's ability to feel pain. They also create a positive feeling, similar to what happens when a person takes morphine. Yikes. That's pretty powerful. No wonder we feel so good after working out! 

Being in nature soothes the soul.
We are so overwhelmed with noise from every direction, that it does our bodies so much good to unplug and get outdoors. Sunlight provides Vitamin D, which helps boost our immune systems. Silence provides the opportunity for us to reflect on life, processing our moments, our stresses and our joys.

Doing what you love brings life. 
And I'm not talking Netflix. I said "doing." If you do more of what you love, you feel energized and purposeful. Figure out what it is you love to DO... creating art? walking the dog? practicing yoga? visiting the beach? volunteering at a shelter? having coffee with friends? We all have unique gifts, talents, and passions. Don't keep those things to yourself. Practice what you love. Move. Breathe. Live. Heal.

CNN article on endorphins
Ask the Scientists article on being outside

Comments

Popular Posts