Monumental Lessons 2018

My mom and I at the expo.
On November 3, 2018, I ran the CNO Monumental Marathon* in my home state of Indiana. This was my 8th full marathon (26.2 miles). Every time I run this distance, I walk (hobble) away with a renewed respect for the distance, my own body, and the glimpses of greatness I witness through the miles.


People Can Be Pretty Amazing
Over the course of 26.2 miles, volunteers come out to serve a multitude of sweaty runners cups of water and Gatorade. If that wasn't enough, they also then must rake and pick up the hundreds of cups that are tossed aside after weary runners replenish their thirst. Of course, these same volunteers have willingly sacrificed hours of sleep to set up their Aid Station, and then must also stay for the last runner before tearing down. 

Then there are those people whose homes line the course, who don't just serve refreshments provided by the race organizers, but take it upon themselves to provide their own aid. I saw oranges, pretzels, candy, water, and even beer provided by friendly neighbors. Their smiles and high-fives did as much to rejuvenate me as their fuel. 

I Surround Myself with Too Much Noise 
For the past few years I've begun running longer races without earbuds for the first several miles. The lack of music or podcast commentary in my ears gives room to listen to the friendly chatter of the individuals around me. I hear snippets of lives, audio clips of experiences and journeys. Joys and tears and randomness. At some point my body gets too loud and my screaming legs interrupt the silence of life, so I pop in a playlist and channel my body's attention to tunes that bring to mind my own memory clips of other races and routes, wods with friends, and drives with family. The music pacifies my angry quads and calves, hopefully until mile 26.

Sometimes We Can Be Jerks
I don't know what that guy who smashed his hand down on his horn for an obnoxiously long time was hoping to accomplish. The police officer had clearly stopped traffic, runners were clogging the intersection, and no one but those on foot were passing. Yet still, he persisted, heart pounding, forehead sweating, blood pumping. Going nowhere. And too many times that's me, steaming over things I cannot force under my control instead of just breathing. 

The Best Way Out is Through 
26.2 miles just hurts. My hamstrings started letting me know they were working  around mile 10. By about 16, they were clamoring for attention. I began walking through every other, then every aid station. By 24 they told me they just weren't going to run anymore. I told them if they made me lose a PR because they were being babies, I would never forgive them. Somehow my brain won the argument, and they managed to shuffle me to a new personal record. 

Mom and my nephew ran the 5k.
It really is a matter of how bad you want it. It's days and weeks that make months of miles. It's humid and rainy and too sunny and too early dark days of training. It's not sleeping in and not staying up late. It's stretching and foam rolling and chafing. It's reading a sign on mile 18 of the 26.2 and wondering if running that far really is better than childbirth. 

It's also the happy feeling of endorphins flooding your body. The smell of new shoes and fresh cut lawns and skies just beginning to release drops of rain on a hot summer afternoon. It's the taste of that Carmel Honey Stinger Waffle and post long run smoothie and giant guilt-free burgers with sweet potato fries. It's trusting your body to carry you longer than you ever thought possible. 

*The Monumental Marathon is a flat, fast course that first weaves through the city of Indianapolis, then leads runners just outside for some fantastic views of fall foliage and sweet suburbs. With just over 18,000 participants combined in the marathon, half, 5k and kids' race, the course was comfortably charged with energy from fellow runners. Parking was plentiful; the expo was fantastic; and the finish line experience was spot on-- I'm not sure which I was more excited about: being given the space blanket or the free slice of pizza!

Comments

Popular Posts