Saving the Beast for Last - Central FL Spartan Beast 2018

The Spartan Beast. 
12+ miles (14.5 for the 2018 Central Florida Beast).
30-35 obstacles (who's really counting?).
3 hours fastest time (I feel good about this stat, since I finished in 3 hours, 9 minutes. Fastest time was actually 1:44:08 by Ryan Kempson).

This was the second year the Beast was held in Central Florida, and only my second Beast ever, despite having run Spartans since 2011. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I hold the record for longest Spartan Race career with fewest races run. Most Spartans are out there earning double and triple Trifectas (a Trifecta is running a Sprint, a Super, and a Beast in one calendar year). It's become so popular that Spartan now sells Trifecta race passes along with their season passes. AROO.

It took me a long time to recover from my Spartan FOMO. I've never done the UltraBeast. Never been to Killington, Vermont (the birthplace of Spartan-- no, the birthplace of Spartan Race is not Sparta). Never traveled out of state for a Spartan, and never completed more than one a year. Never done all the things typical of the real Spartan racer. (That's what FOMO sounds like, when it talks.)

It's not that I've not wanted to. It's just that there are so many events that filled my days... baseball tournaments, track meets, football games, and family vacations. My practicality won out. Looking back now... I really can't say that I did miss out.

I began running Spartans to compete, running the elite waves, trying to see how well I could do against the best on the course. I've always had a blast. Maybe.

Last year I ran with a friend, last heat of the day, securely in the middle of the pack. We talked, we laughed, we helped each other and others over obstacles. I gave my best, but allowed my body to slow to a walk when it felt the need to. I didn't sweat my time, didn't worry about who I could pass or whether I would be passed. I really had a blast.

This year I ran the competitive, Age Group, division. I still love competing. Until the days leading up to the race, when I found myself not really caring to race. A year later, I was going alone. I had intended to be focused on finishing fast... flying through the course. And my heart just really wasn't in it. I'm not fast enough to truly compete anymore. And for the first time I am ok with that.

I'm finding joy in community. I still love competition, but I'm learning that being present during the racing and fully soaking in the experience is so much more fulling than an age group podium. I'm still very much an introvert, but there's nothing like enduring physical feats to create a feeling of community. I'll definitely return to the Spartan course. But yes, this was my last competitive Spartan Race. Maybe.


Comments

Popular Posts