Inspiring Words

"These woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
-Robert Frost from "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

I thought I'd add a blog for when life is hard and your workout is too. So, here are some of my favorite motivational quotes.
I have the following on my bricks that I will be carrying for the GORUCK Challenge in January:

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace." Acts 20:24

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

"Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
Therefore have I set my face like flint,   

    I will not be disgraced.

 and I know I will not be put to shame." 
Isaiah 50:7

"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." 
Psalm 18:32
Here are some shorter quotes that lend themselves well to a mantra (a short word or phrase that is repeated during a long run or race when your body and/or brain wants desperately to quit):
The above is good, or try my modified version created on a cold, drowsy, pre-dawn speed work session:
Hard work beats talent when talent sleeps in.
Then there's my latest favorite from Talladega Nights:
"If you ain't first, you're last!"

To help me remember to relax:
"Make it look easy"

And for those really hard days, I go with a shorter mantra:
"Run Strong"

The important thing is to find some thing that inspires, motivates, and/or takes your mind off the pain.  Dean Karnazes (the Ultra marathon man) says that if you're doing it (running) right, it hurts. 

*Photo credits-- Pinterest boards. 

Comments

Popular Posts