This Plan Works!

If you're like me, your newsfeed is filled with pictures of enthusiastic individuals who are having GREAT SUCCESS!!! on this FANTASTIC PLAN!!!! that TOTALLY WORKS!!!

I'm happy for them. I've seen pounds lost and pant sizes down. But something doesn't sit quite right. I know health and fitness. And I know that any plan that causes rapid weight loss, restricts exercise, and is based on secrets should be viewed with a good amount of skepticism.

Let me give you a ridiculous and extreme example that really happened to me:

My plan works! I lost 10 pounds in 5 days. My jeans are loose now, and I look and feel great! I haven't been able to wear this size in several years. It's so amazing!

My "plan"? I thought I had the flu-- stomach pain, GERD symptoms. So, I ate tiny amounts of food. Essentially I stopped eating-- and felt better because I had stressed my way into stomach issues. I stopped working out because of the extreme calorie deficit. I lost weight fast.

Was it healthy? No. Everyone would say no. Did it "work" in helping me lose weight? Absolutely. But not exercising and not eating is NOT a great plan. It's not healthy. (Do I really have to say that?)

THIS PLAN WORKS:
Eat more... Veggies (broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, celery, squash, zucchini, potatoes). Good sources of protein (eggs, chicken, beef, seafood... grassfed, free range, antibiotic/hormone free as often as possible). Nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds). Healthy fats (avocado, nut butters, olive oil, coconut oil, grassfed butter). Whole grains (rice, quinoa, oats).

Drink more water. (Not Crystal Light. Not sports drink. Not artificially sweetened stuff. Coffee, tea, unsweetened sparkling water is ok, in moderation.)

Eat less... crap. (Avoid... fried foods. Sugar. Processed foods-- most things in a bag in a box.)

Read labels. INGREDIENTS on labels, that is. Calories, carbs, and fat grams matter. But pay more attention to the ingredients. Cane sugar, coconut sugar, brown rice syrup... are all sugar.

Move more! Crossfit, run, cycle, swim, yoga, strength train, step aerobics... whatever it is that brings you joy through movement-- do it. (And you don't have to work out for 2 hours every day-- 30 to 45 minutes, 3 to 5 days a week is fine.)

Stress less... this one is huge for me. Enjoy whatever it is you're doing. Be present in the moment. Eating a doughnut won't kill you. Eating a doughnut everyday will kill you. Make baby steps. Be consistent.

Comments

Popular Posts