UltraPlanning

So, I've got this little thing tomorrow.

50 miles. Sand dunes. March. Florida. 6 am start. ? pm finish.

I've been running for what seems like a lifetime and that's just the number of miles logged in the last 2 months. I've followed my 50 mile training plan nearly meticulously. I've used races as speedwork and a marathon as a training run.

And most recently, this week I've done everything I can to NOT think about 50 miles.

I'm ready. (Yes, I wish I would've done that training in the sand like I told myself I would do... "next week." But I didn't. Because running in the sand is terrible-- I'm pretty sure regardless if I've been practicing running in the sand or not.)

I'm excited. (And not in that "I'm so excited I think I'm having a panic and/or anxiety attack" sort of way.)

All that's left is to pack my "Things I need before the race" bag, my drop bags, and my post race bag. And, of course, to lay out my race clothes. Pray. Relax. Sleep. Drive. Run.

Pre-Race:
Wake-up. Thyroid meds. 16 oz water.
Dress (road shoes, compression socks, gaiters, lucky shorts, tank, Nathan hydration vest w/ phone, 16 oz-- 2 scoops mix UCan and 16 oz water, Goodr "A Ginger's Soul" sunglasses).
Coffee. Drive. Generation UCan Snack bar (b-fast).

The course is 12.5 miles out with an Aid Station in the middle and at the 12.5 mark. Then back with a Start/Finish Aid Station. Here's my plan for the drop bags. (I learned from the Grand Canyon 50K that you really can have too much stuff. So, I'm trying to pack the minimum.)

Start/Finish Drop Bag:
A large cooler bag (unlike with some races, there are no specifications for the size).
Ice. Water.
UCan Snack bar. Justin's Vanilla Almond nut butter. Honey Stinger Waffle. (I don't plan to eat them all. I just don't know what will sound good at mile 25.)
2 scoops UCan to refill my bottle.
Trail Toes.
Sunscreen.
Wet wipes.
Gum.

12.5 mile (and 37.5 mile) Drop Bag:
Another soft-sided cooler
UCan Snack bar. Justin's Chocolate hazelnut butter. Honey Stinger Waffle. Hard boiled eggs (I don't plan to eat them all. I just don't know what will sound good at mile 12.5 and 37.5.)
2 scoops UCan to refill my bottle.
Frozen coffee (that I hope will be cold by the time I need it).
Vaseline. Blister kit.
Sunscreen.
Wet wipes.
Gum.
Visor.

Post-Race Bag:
Change of clothes. Towel. Shampoo/bodywash. Flip flops.
Sweet potato chips. Apple w/ peanut butter.

Maybe that doesn't look like packing light. I'm not sure.

Race Plan: 
1. Don't stop at Aid Stations for longer than 2 minutes.
2. Drink water.
3. Keep eating.
4. Smile.
5. Drink more water.

Read Part 2: The Dunes 50 Miler - My First

Comments

Popular Posts