National Running Day

June 3, 2015

Happy National Running Day!
What's that? You say. Apparently it's a day where everyone is supposed to go out and run. And love running. There's a whole website devoted to it: http://www.runningday.org/ Actually, in perusing the website, I learned that you are supposed to gather a bunch of friends and run. And register with Charity Miles so that the miles you move earn donations for charity. That's pretty cool.

I'm not running today.

But I will commit to finally finishing my training plan today. That is, finishing writing out my training plan. There's this event I'm going to do. A little thing called World's Toughest Mudder. (Every time I say it, my stomach drops about as much as it did when I jumped from Walk the Plank in my first and only Tough Mudder back in 2013.)

World's Toughest Mudder, if you don't know, is 24 hours of a Tough Mudder. In Vegas (the trick to getting the hubby to go). In November. More specifically, it's 24 hours of 5 mile desert loops of 20-25 of the most challenging obstacles around. That would be 24 hours non-stop. (There goes my stomach again.)

I'm actually not really concerned about the running part. I can train to be on my feet for 50 miles and more. It's the obstacles. Last year there was a 35 foot cliff jump. And the running thing (it's just not as scary as the obstacles). I'm currently logging 20ish miles a week with a long run of about 10. That's a long way from where I need to be. And one thing I've learned by experience in the past few years-- you can't rush training.

Planning is key. I'm working on that now-- researching training, the course, packing lists, etc. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile-- on this National Running Day, move your feet. And find a race to do-- something that elicits equal parts excitement and fear.

Comments

Popular Posts