World's Toughest Mudder Training: Week 1

This might be the first of my weekly posts for WTM preparation. I say "might" because even I may get sick of reading about my training. I expect there to be many ups and downs-- both figuratively and literally. The terrain on the Vegas course is apparently no joke and very different from flat South Florida.

World's Toughest Mudder = 24 hours of a 5 mile loop course, containing 20-25 Tough Mudder obstacles (monkey bars, rings, electric shock, walls, cliff jump). It's in Vegas, in November, which means a hot day and a cold night. Wetsuit cold.

I've never done anything like this. I'm currently training more like a powerlifting Crossfitter than an ultra-runner. All signs seem to indicate that ultra-runners are better suited to this event than powerlifters. (Duh.) Time to tweak overhaul my training.

I've just finished week 1:

Sunday-- long run. My goal was 10 miles, but I took the scenic route and logged somewhere between 10 and 11, for a total of 1:46 of running. It felt really good-- must have been the previous night's chips and salsa.

Monday-- warm-up row of 2,000 total meters broken into intervals. Power snatches and box squats. Superset of dumbbell walking lunges and leg curls. Then 5 rounds of 5 tire flips, 15 windshield wipers, 10 wall balls.

Tuesday-- 3 mile slow and easy run (AM). Cleans and bench. Superset of wide pulldowns and incline dumbbell bench press. Then 3 rounds of 5 hang cleans, 8 pull ups, 10 barbell curls, 12 overhead triceps extensions (PM).

Wednesday-- 2000 M row broken into intervals. Plus another 2000 M over about 90 mins of time as I was coaching. 200 yd. 60 lb. heavy bag carry. 2 x 30 yd. sled pull and push with 3 plates (185 lbs.). 200 double unders. (3 min. rest) 10 min AMRAP of 10 burpees, 20 wall balls. (5 min. rest) 2 mile heavy bag carry with partner (handing off heavy bag).

Thursday-- 6 mile run (AM). 5 rounds of 20 ab machine crunches, 10 kettle bell swings (PM). 20 min. easy bike ride (PM #2).

Friday-- 20 box jumps to warm up. Power and Hang snatches. Strict press and dead lifts.

Saturday-- 1 mile ruck (2 bricks). Not quite death by lunges-- 10 mins. of lunges w/ EMOM of 20 air squats. 1/2 mile ruck. Then in rounds: Burpee pull ups 20, 15, 10, 5. Sit ups 20, 15, 10, 5. Box jumps 5, 10, 15, 20. 1 mile ruck.

My plan moving forward--

  • Follow an ultra-marathon training plan
  • Strength train 3 days a week 
  • 3 days of longer, endurance training sessions
  • Swim
  • ???
OH! I almost forgot-- I'm in need of a crew. Someone(s) to hang out in my tent/along the course to make sure I eat, hydrate, get enough sodium and to just generally kick me in butt, mentally. My husband is going along for the trip, but I'm not sure it would be good for either of us for him to crew me. Although, when he tells me to go, I keep moving.

Comments

Popular Posts