Happy Places

“I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, 
"This is what it is to be happy.” 
― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

I ran this weekend. Another race. I almost didn't. Last weekend I ran 41 miles in a last man standing challenge. Logically, I shouldn't have raced again so soon. However (there always seems to be a however or a but), I had already registered. And I don't often get the opportunity to run trails. 

Anti-Hero Series: Weapon X Trail Race. I was signed up for the 5 hour challenge... as many 5 mile laps as you can run in 5 hours. I was hoping to run 4 laps, but not knowing how my legs would handle the day, I was just out to enjoy the trail. 

The course was gorgeous, the weather perfect, the turnout wasn't huge, but everyone was friendly and ready to have a fun day. I felt so good going into this race. I didn't put any pressure on myself. I was just out to enjoy the trail. 
My legs seemed to fly me through the course. I tried to take it slow and easy, knowing that the long race from last weekend was still wreaking havoc in my legs and body. I watched my feet, carefully picking my way through the harder packed places in the sugar sand, through muddy places and over roots. Somewhere in the middle of my first lap several deer crossed the trail. 

It was a glorious run. I ran with only my thoughts in my ears... no music until around mile 13, when the heaviness in my legs began to shift my mood downward. I ran mostly alone on the course. Alone in my happy place. 
And this is why I run long distance. It's there that I find my happy place. It's peace and spinning thoughts-- nothing but breath and sky and trees. It's life. 
1st place

Comments

Popular Posts