Running by Feel - Miami Marathon 2019

Finish line photos aren't
always pretty.
This year's Miami Marathon was my TENTH marathon, and it also marked 10 years from my first step into long distance running. It was in 2009 that I ran my first half marathon, also in Miami.

I've learned tons along the way, mostly by making mistakes and correcting them. There are some "rules" of running that should never be broken and some that can.

Running Rules that Should NOT be Broken

Follow a Training Plan
When I started running, I had no idea what I was doing. If running was good, then running lots was better. Fortunately, I'm also a planner, so I love to see weeks of running all written down nicely on paper. I didn't know there should be some periodization-- or even that there is such a thing (it's cycles of training- shorter mileage weeks building to longer mileage, then stepping back before adding more). I didn't know about a taper, or that you don't need to run the full race distance before the race. Following a plan can get you ready for your distance without getting you injured.

Practice Your Race
Aka Do Nothing New on Race Day. Treat a few key long runs in your training plan as race day simulations. Run at the same time of day the race will take place. Eat (or don't) before your run to determine what your body likes. Practice fueling and hydrating on the run so you'll know what works and doesn't during race day. This is the time to figure out gels/Gu's/energy bars. Test out your shoes, socks and clothing, pay special attention to anything that rubs or chafes. Having a few practice runs will take some of the stress out of race day and provide you with a confidence boost!

Wear the Right Stuff
Running shoes. (And you should not have to break them in! If you do, they aren't right for your feet. There are about a bazillion different brands and styles out there. Go to a running store to have them help analyze your gait and make suggestions. AND some online retailers offer a trial run period.) Avoid cotton because it holds moisture and can cause chafing. If you're running longer than 5k, you'll most likely want to carry water or plan your runs around water fountains to hydrate during the run. There are hand-held bottles (usually hold 6-8 oz of water), waist belts (10-18 oz), and running vests (some hold 2L +). Watch or phone. If you're only running in your neighborhood, do you really need GPS tracking? There are a variety of apps that track distance, speed, and time. I use Strava, which is pretty much a social media app for runners and cyclists.  

Running Rules that CAN be Broken

Realizing a PR would happen.
Eat 30-60 g of Carbs an Hour 
If you don't want to do the math, that's 120-240 calories an hour. For me, that just means trips to the port-a-potty. And that's crazy. I will give a disclaimer- my stomach doesn't do very well when I put stuff in it during a long run. Many runners use gels, which can be pretty much straight sugar. And my tummy is just not a fan. What to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat has definitely taken me the longest to figure out. And I'm still learning. 

Taper
I believe firmly in following a racing plan. However, I've seen some racing plans that call for a 4 week taper for the marathon. (Taper = decreasing the amount of miles until race day. It gives your legs- and your mind a break from all the running, so you're fresh for race day.) Experience has taught me that I do better with a shorter taper. It might be mental, but it's produced faster racing for me.

Lifting Weights Hurts Your Running
Runners often talk about the importance of cross-training, but many are referring to cardio-type cross-training (swimming, cycling, etc.). Do not underestimate the importance of strength training! Crossfit has been one of the best things I've done to improve my running. It's improved my overall fitness and my core strength which has translated amazingly well to my durability and ability to go into "the pain cave" as a runner. 

Discover What Works for You.

I'm pretty sure that isn't very helpful. However, what I've learned in 10 years of hour + long runs is that every BODY is unique. What one runner swears by may not work for you. And what works for you may not work for me. If something is working, keep at it. Until it no longer works. And if what you're doing doesn't quite feel right, try something new.
Fighting to stay under 4:11.

Miami Marathon 2019

This year's Miami was phenomenal for me. I confess, I pretty much broke the training plan rule. Well, I was loosely following a plan, but since this wasn't a big goal race for me, I wasn't concerned about having the perfect amount of running in my legs. I took time to recover from the Indy marathon in November, race the Spartan Beast in December, and didn't taper (I ran 20 miles just 6 days before the race.). Turns out I went out there and crushed my old PR by 7 minutes. I set out with no goal in mind. I ran the race by feel. It was at mile 16 that I realized I could PR, and that gave me an energy boost. I felt so good that I didn't bring my earbuds out until mile 18. At that point, the music provided the necessary distraction. I stuck to my fueling plan-- didn't feel like eating before the race, so I didn't. During the race, I took in a bite or 2 of first a UCan energy bar, then a Clif bar every 4 miles. I finished in 4:10:24... just a tiny bit closer to a BQ (Boston Qualifying time). 

Comments

Popular Posts