Back at It


Well, after quite a long break (from blogging and running), I am back again. I discovered that sometimes just not running is the best way to heal an injury-- go figure! I tried cutting miles and was still feeling Achilles pain. So, I had to stop altogether. I didn't run a step for two weeks, which seemed like an eternity. I rode my stationary bike until I felt like my legs were going to fall off. Plus I did lots of CrossFit type strength training. I ran exactly one mile, divided into two days the week before the Firefighter's 5K on September 11. My little running buddy, Justin ran with me. He hadn't trained at all, except for laps done in PE and football practice.

It was a beautiful morning. In memory of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, bagpipes played. The last time I heard bagpipes play was at the funeral of a firefighter. I had to bite my lip to keep from crying. As Justin and I ran slowly side by side, I took in the sights around me. The sun was just coming up, and the view along the boardwalk was amazing. A handful of firefighters were running and carrying American flags, but instead of a solid blue sky and red stripes, those spaces contained the names of the people who were murdered on September 11.  It was an emotional return to running for me-- the sympathy I felt as I prayed for families who lost so much on that day ten years ago and the joy I felt as I ran beside my son. Then the frustration (?) as he dashed off at the finish line, leaving his old Mom in the dust.

I've been slowly adding miles. Wondering how well trained I'll be for the 13.1 on November 13 and the marathon in January. I'm already fighting my own mind... it likes to tell me I will never have time to run enough training miles before the races. Maybe that's why I'm throwing so much weight around in the gym-- to prove to my mind that my body is strong. I think that will be another post for another day...

Comments

Popular Posts