Tropical Storm Isaac

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." 
--Oliver Wendell Holmes


With Tropical Storm Isaac approaching and my long run day approaching, I made the decision not to move my long run. My legs were pretty fried on Friday night after mile repeats Thursday morning and a CrossFit workout consisting of nearly 100 box jumps that afternoon, plus 3 miles Friday morning and another CrossFit workout of 50lb prowler sled pushes and over 100 deadlifts. I needed to rest on Saturday and figured I'd take my chances with Isaac on Sunday morning. 

I awoke sometime early Sunday morning to the sound of high winds and rain. Thinking my run was out of the question, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Surprisingly, when I climbed out of bed, there was only evidence that it had rained, and suddenly, the run was back on. By the time I dressed and headed out the door, a light drizzle had begun. I was still uncertain of how far I would go. At one point I had decided to do 3.3 mile loops around my neighborhood, but I know myself too well, and I would've bailed out too early. So, the plan became 7 miles out and then the return trip home. Dreading leaving my iPod at home more than facing the weather, I headed out the door. 

I ran through the bands of the storm-- bouts of heavy rain and wind gusts. The streets were mostly deserted, although I did pass 3 other "crazies"-- a woman on a bike and another 2 walking. We laughed at ourselves and wished each other "good morning." I ran with only my thoughts as company for almost 2 hours and 20 minutes, farther than I've ever gone without music for preoccupation before. 

Once again the run taught me a lesson. My mind is more powerful than I know. I didn't need music to help me through 14 miles with wet, squishy shoes. All I needed was my own determination.


See, Mom, the weather wasn't really that bad at all.


Comments

Popular Posts