Why Not Paleo?


“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.” 
 Henry David Thoreau

So, the newest thing in fitness seems to be the Paleo diet. If you don't know what that is, you must live under a rock. Bahahahahaha! (get it, under a rock? Paleo, aka cave man diet?) Ok, seriously, this explanatory picture has been floating around facebook for awhile: 
So, if I may try to sum up the Paleo diet... it's meat and plant based. Certain foods are really off limits. Other foods are kind of off limits. And that was a really poor explanation, so check out this infographic for a clear picture. (I can't stop.)

Tons of people, most of them CrossFitters, love and swear by this diet lifestyle. And the internet is full of before and after pictures of people who have tried and succeeded with the Paleo diet. But...

I will never join the masses of Paleo people. (gasp) Let me explain why...

1. Brown rice. Off limits on the Paleo diet. And it just doesn't make sense to me. It is arguably one of the best complex carbs on the planet. Want more info on brown rice? I'll save you a Google search.  

2. Oatmeal. Ok, this really should be my #1, but since it's mostly a breakfast food, I put it at #2. Again, awesome source of fiber and deliciousness-- you just have to know how to make it. (DO NOT buy those packets of instant-- full of sugar.) More than you ever wanted to know about oatmeal here.

3. Potatoes. White potatoes. (giant gasp) Yes, I love them. They are a great source of potassium. Ok, sweet potatoes are higher in vitamins and fiber, but the vilification of white potatoes must be stopped! (ok, that was cheesy-- I've been grading persuasive essays written by 8th graders)

4. Speaking of cheese... Cheese. I limit my dairy to a few times a week, but it's always in the form of cheese. I'm not even going to pretend there's a great health benefit to cheese. It's just yummy. 

5. Peanut butter. Again, I don't eat it for the health benefits. It's just plain delicious. Especially after mixing in a little vanilla whey protein and spreading it on apples. (I only use peanut butter with peanuts as THE ingredient.) 

If you're Paleo, that's awesome for you! I'm not trying to convince you to quit. I think it's important to eat a variety of clean, real food. 

Paleo or not... I'd love to read your thoughts!

Comments

Popular Posts