13.3. An Eye-opener.

13.3-- WOMEN - includes Masters Women up to 54 years old
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:
150 Wall balls (14 lbs to 9' target)
90 Double-unders
30 Muscle-ups


Yes, it's another post about the CrossFit Open WOD (Workout Of the Day).
I feel like I killed 13.1.
Was average on 13.2 (oh, you missed the post about that one? That's because there wasn't a post.)
Killed 13.3.

But my biggest victory lies in the secret to my success: find a way to turn your weakness into your strength. No, it's not a new concept. But it's an important one that has both practical and spiritual/emotional applications.

Physically, the implications are straightforward-- since making the decision to enter the Open, I've been practicing my weaknesses multiple times a week-- double unders until my arms and legs were stinging and throbbing with welts (hint-- cut the toes of 2 old crew socks to make yourself some arm protectors, and of course, wear tall socks); snatch ladders until reaching failure (and somehow this always results in my bouncing on my booty); hand stand push ups; and trying to get the swing of those darn kipping pull ups (can we just do strict pull ups, please?). This has definitely all paid off.
RINGS!

But today's secret of success was my husband's coming with me. Having my husband as my coach does not always feel like a good thing. Today, it was a very good thing. When exhausted and spent and at the end of myself, the primal me kicked in. I wish I could say that the primal me is a warrior, a beast... that I just dug deep and found the strength within myself, but that's not true. I dug deep and found my inner pleaser. I've always seen being a pleaser as a character flaw. Today, it was my strength. At about 80 (out of 150) wall balls, with delts on fire, I thought I had nothing left. All I could do was listen to my husband-- he counted out 6 reps. Commanded me to rest. Counted down a 10 second rest. Told me to go. Over and over. And the pleaser in me did exactly what I was told.
Special thanks again to Edwin and CrossFit CVI.
What weakness have you turned into a strength?

Comments

Popular Posts