Dreams

Delayed hope makes one sick at heart,
    but a fulfilled longing is a tree of life.
Proverbs 13:12 (God's Word translation)

I've always been a doer and not much of a dreamer. I'm checklist oriented. More into the tangible and measurable than the unknown and the possible. Maybe that's why I don't spend much time dreaming. Or maybe it's the pessimist in me. Maybe I'm too cynical. 

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't dream enough. Without a dream, we just seem to stumble along in life, settling for whatever comes our way. Without a dream, we don't have any drive. There is no far away place in the future toward which we are aiming. Dreams build and fuel desire to become better, to do better, to make others better. Dreams help define our goals. 

So, I'm going to work on dreaming more. Sounds like an oxymoron. But as I've become a Mom and gotten older I've found that I have to schedule time for play... and now more dreaming.

Are you a dreamer? Or like me, somewhere along the way have you forgotten to dream?

Comments

Popular Posts