Pumpkin Walnut Butter Recipe

So, one of my pet peeves is going to a site to get a recipe and having to scroll through paragraphs of details about the whole creating process. Not gonna do that. Here's the recipe. Paragraphs follow.

Pumpkin Walnut Butter Recipe
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1 T coconut oil
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
4 servings vanilla protein powder (I used Promasil because it contains no sugar)
2 c pumpkin 

Mix walnuts and coconut oil in a large food processor until nuts are chopped well. Add remaining ingredients and process until thoroughly blended.

Makes approximately 4 cups. Divided into half cup servings, nutrition facts:
245 Calories
18 g Fat
9 g Carbs (5g fiber / 3 g sugar)
17 g Protein 

Clearly, this is a low carb, high fat dessert. It is not overly sweet, maybe not sweet enough for you. I personally believe recipes are merely guidelines... suggestions. I will continue to play with this recipe. Here are some things that I will be trying:
  • Removing the coconut oil-- I added it to help the walnuts form butter better.
  • Adding more pumpkin-- this will reduce fat slightly per serving, but will probably mean an increase in sweetener is needed
  • Adding sweetener-- I prefer Stevia. However, if you aren't low carb, pure maple syrup would be an amazing flavor and sweetness addition!
  • Adding apple sauce-- my son suggested this, and I might just try it! It would add sweetness and carbs.
I never intended to be blogging about cooking, but I have this really bad habit of taking recipes and tweaking them or completely overhauling them, not writing down what I've done, and thus being unable to re-create the finished product. Well, I re-create it, just in multiple variations that sometimes are better than the original and sometimes not. So, mostly I'm recording this for my own benefit.

If you try the recipe and tweak it, let me know how it goes!

And I have this plan to try a low carb pumpkin cheesecake...

Comments

Popular Posts