BattleFrog Goes BIG

Earlier this year I did my first and only (so far) BattleFrog race, and I had an amazing time. You can read my full recap here. I'm just really happy to see another company in the obstacle racing world growing traction and providing quality events.

I'm beyond excited that they've just announced a 24 hour race. BattleFrog Extreme (running as many laps as possible from 8:30am to 3pm) is an option that's available at most BattleFrog race locations, but this 24 hour event will be held in Miami on March 4-5. Many details are yet to be disclosed, but so far there is an option for a pit crew who will have 24 hour access to the pit area and sections of the course. There's also a blackout portion-- most likely when headlamps and other night safety gear will be required. The only real details (other than date, start time and cost) released is that the course has been designed by Ryan Atkins, winner of multiple obstacle races including BattleFrogs, Spartans and World's Toughest Mudder.

I was planning to do the BFX at the Miami March event, but the announcement of the 24 hour option has me salivating. I don't feel like I did all that I was capable of doing at World's Toughest Mudder. The cold meant that I had to stop (and yes, in some way, that was reaching my body's potential), so I don't feel that I truly tested my limits.

The heat and humidity will be a major factor, just as the cold was in Vegas for WTM. But I'm used to training in the heat. The biggest obstacle for my entering this race is cost. At just about $400, the fee is steep, but given the race is practically in my back yard, it's nearly a bargain.

So many people can't understand why on earth I would want to do a 24 hour race. And I think really, it's just because I can. At 41, I'm in better shape than I've ever been. I enjoy training. I enjoy pushing my body to its limit. I enjoy that feeling at the end of a tough workout, when I'm completely spent, having left all the stress in my world in the weight room or on the road. You really don't know just how much your body is capable of until you test it.

Comments

Popular Posts