Repeats

*a post that might be a little about running and a whole lot more about life

There's a thing that runners do to improve their speed-- they're called repeats.

The concept is fairly simple (notice I didn't say easy). Choose a distance that's comparable to the race you're training for and run that same distance multiple times in one workout. Running magazines often recommend repeats to build leg strength and speed.

A common repeat workout that I've done to prepare for the 10k distance and up is mile repeats-- completing one mile fast, with a half mile slow recovery jog in between. For the shorter races, repeat that mile 3 times, for the marathon and farther, work to 5 times.

Repeats aren't fun. They are brutal. Grueling. Lung-exploding, heart-thudding, mind-screaming. Because pushing hard the first time feels unbearable-- legs feel heavy, heart pounds, and there just isn't enough oxygen in the world to continue. And then... it comes around again.

Such is what I'm encountering in life right now. My son's senior year is hurtling to its conclusion. And I'm proud of him and sad for me. (I think I'm going to miss our morning rides to school together the most-- full of serious and not so serious conversation and classic rock.) At the same time that I'm approaching his graduation, I'm approaching the 2 year anniversary of my sister's death. Two years typically wouldn't be as big of a deal as 1 year, except this one is a repeat. 

Two years ago, my parents and mother-in-law were visiting to celebrate my firstborn's graduation. It was stressful and wonderful and full of hope for the future. The day after we ate sushi and enjoyed time together. And my sister died. And the world, my world, was toppled and shifted.

Two years later, today, I'm planning another son's graduation; my parents and mother-in-law are visiting; I'm thinking through details of Baccalaureate; planning the celebration. Again. And everything inside me is screaming that we can do nothing the same. No open house/graduation party for the older son? This one must have one. Sushi dinner the day after? No sushi this time!

It's as ridiculous as the superstitions we parents practice during baseball games. Everything going exceptional? NOBODY MOVE SEATS. Everything going horribly wrong? EVERYBODY FIND A DIFFERENT PLACE TO WATCH THE GAME. We must fix this mess!

My life is a repeat of sorts right now. But if you want to be better, you can't hide from the repeats. Facing that dreaded thing builds strength that can only come from moving through the challenge. Confronting the pain brings resilience. Embracing the discomfort and pushing into it will ultimately promote the healing necessary to develop character. 
Andrea

Comments

Popular Posts