2013 CrossFit Open. Done.

I just finished my last workout of the CrossFit Open, and I'm filled with so many contrasting emotions. Like the WODs themselves, the open felt so long when I was in the middle of it-- like the weeks would never end. But now that it's over, I feel like it was over too quickly. I want more time to prove myself.
13.4 with my son 
I entered the competition having no idea what to expect-- how I would complete the workouts, how I would stack up against my CrossFitting friends, other women in the region and in the world. Each workout brought an adrenaline rush... and that was just in waiting for the announcement of the WOD. Then there was the "Should I?" or "Shouldn't I?" aspect... practice it? go early in the week? go late? watch endless youtube instructional videos? watch the pros? check the leaderboard?

13.4

Then the performing of the WOD itself. It's everything awesome about competing in a race, every week-- the expectation, the seconds leading up to "go," the exertion of giving it all, and the being spent at the end. And after submitting the score, watching the leaderboard (yes, I probably care way too much about where I rank in my region).

What did I find? I surprised myself. Having no official CrossFit official training, having no box to WOD in, my husband's skill as a trainer once again brought me success. He crafted workouts that challenged me and changed me. He pushed me to go heavier than I thought I could, to give more than I thought I had to give. More than once I cried in frustration; more than once I yelled in exhilaration.

If you are considering registering for the open next year, I would recommend it... IF you do your homework--

  1. Join a CrossFit box to train for the specific workouts. I underestimated the difficulty of the short but incredibly intense WODs in the open. Even though I had done similar workouts, mine tended to be longer and a little more leisurely-- my only competition in training was myself and the clock. In a CrossFit box, I think I would've pushed myself to go faster because there would be others performing the same workout as me. 
  2. Do some research. I was surprised that some others competing in the open couldn't do some of the very common CrossFit exercises, such as double unders, toes to bar, or pull ups. Even before entering the open, I began learning the DU because I knew that if I couldn't do those, I wouldn't have a chance.
  3. Practice, practice, practice. 'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular Posts