New Years' Not Resolutions


I hate New Year's resolutions. And I think it's from my years spent in a Gold's Gym, watching the flood of Resolutioners clogging up the cardio machines and free weight area mirrors, only to drop off by mid February.

Of course the beginning of a new year makes people contemplate the past year... where they've been, what they've done (or not done) and what they can do to change for the better. But I feel that too many just jump on the resolution bandwagon, don't put enough thought into it and, therefore, set themselves up for failure.

Aside from hard work, what is the secret to success in reaching goals? Having a plan. (And I do love to plan!) Check this previous post for some tips. The following are a few of my goals for the first half of 2014. If you notice, I have a big goal, but then have broken the big goals into baby steps detailing how to reach the big goal. I also have a specific measurement of time. So there is a time target-- a point at which I know wether or not I've reached my goal.

So this year, as the open approaches, I'm continuing to work on making some big strength gains. Unfortunately that is a painfully slow process. I will continue following Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 strength program. This one is not so specific... I'm trying to add as much strength as possible.

I'm also setting my sights on greatly improving my cleans. Both in technique and weight. So, I will be doing squat cleans and front squats at least 3 times a week.

And then there is the ever elusive muscle up. I must have my muscle up. This means more time spent at the playground working on the momentum and getting bar muscle ups. This also means I need to work on mobility and flexibility-- so yoga/stretching 3 times a week.

So this post isn't about a New Year's resolution. This is about my immediate training goals. A year ago my focus was on the Crossfit open. About this time last year, I decided to enter the open for the first time. My goals were to be able to do double unders and to snatch. I achieved both and surprised myself at how well I did in the open as a first timer who hadn't really ever done Crossfit.
I guess I should say-- it's not the setting of New Year's resolutions that I have an objection to. It's good to have goals, to not be satisfied with life as usual. Set some goals. Be more awesome. 

Comments

Popular Posts