15.2: Chest to Bar Pull Ups are Evil

Following week 1 of the Open (read about 15.1), I was feeling a bit less confident in my abilities as a CrossFitter. Not necessarily because of my performance per say, but because of my ranking on the leaderboard.

Ah, yes... the LEADERBOARD. That wonderful and fearful place where you can see how you stack up against your friends and complete strangers in your box, your region and the world. Fists raised in celebration as you see you've out competed so-and-so. And then head droops as you see you've been best my hundreds thousands (tens of thousands?) of others.

For months I've openly talked about my goal (dream?) to qualify for the next level of competition... as a masters athlete, that means I would have to place in the top 200 in the world in my age group. TWO HUNDRED. Sounds like a lot of people. Until I see my placement on the leaderboard. After 15.1 and 15.1a, I was ranked at 722. That's a long way from top 200. But considering there are approximately 10,500 women in the 40-44 year old division, I guess 722 isn't too bad.

Workout 15.2
Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
From 0:00-3:00
   2 rounds of:
   10 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
   10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 3:00-6:00
   2 rounds of:
   12 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
   12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
From 6:00-9:00
   2 rounds of:
   14 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
   14 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern until you fail to complete both rounds
14.2
15.2 is actually the same workout as 14.2. Interesting. I immediately felt relief on hearing this. My fear has been that 14.5 (a torturous combo of burpees and thrusters) would be repeated. Last year, I performed 79 reps. That seemed really low, especially when I walked into the CrossFit box and began chatting with the coaches. One said she hit the 130s last year-- went into the 14s last year and was hoping to make it to the 16s this year. Say what?! 
This is the first time I've done an Open WOD as part of a class. We warmed up. Then warmed up some more. Then worked progressions (I mostly abstained-- not wanting to wear my grip out on practicing the kip). Then waited for everyone to get set up and a judge. FORTY-FIVE excruciating minutes later, I was standing watching the 3-2-1 countdown. 
First of all. I need to practice chest-to-bar pull ups more. AND I need to practice kipping more. (Neither of those 2 facts is new info to me. It's just been lower on the "To Practice" list.) I was so worried about getting my chest to hit the bar that my kipping was even uglier than usual. Ok, you really can't even call what I was doing a kip. I chipped away. One. rep. at. a. time. The brutality of the "no rep" fueled better reps. And when I had done all that I could do in the time allowed, I had worked out for a grand total of SIX MINUTES. Seriously!? I was pissed. SIX MINUTES isn't even a workout. Seriously. 
At least I beat last year's score. Barely.
15.2 score: 81 reps.
For now.
I will re-do this one.
And I will better my score. (I'm not even SORE!) 

Comments

Popular Posts